Welcome to Rock ‘n’ Roll Fridays!
We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked A Halloween Treat: Alice Cooper & Marilyn Manson. (The song lyrics are in bold)
ALICE COOPER :
1. SCHOOL’S OUT : “School’s out for summer. School’s out forever…”
What was your best summer vacation memory as a child?
One summer my family took a vacation where we traveled all around Michigan, seeing many of our state’s natural wonders. I was just old enough to appreciate them and not just be bored like my younger brother and sister.
2. BILLION DOLLAR BABIES : “Billion dollar baby, I got you in a dimestore. No other little girl could ever hold you any tighter, any tighter than me, baby”
What was the last thing you remember buying in a dime store?
I don’t remember ever being at a real dime store – maybe when I was a kid. These days all I see are their modern day equivalent: Dollar stores.
3. WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE : “Welcome to my breakdown, I hope I didn't scare you. That's just the way we are, When you come down! We sweat laugh and scream here, Cause laugh is just a dream here…”
Can you tell us about a nightmare you have had recently?
I don’t really have nightmares anymore, just weird dreams that don’t make sense. I've try to tell my wife about them once in awhile, but they're always too strange to to describe logically.
4. ELECTED : “We're gonna win this one, take the country by storm. We're gonna be elected, You and me together, young and strong”
Democrats, Republicans or Tea Party? Who will sweep the elections?
I think the Democrats are set to dominate the American political scene for awhile, since the Republicans dominated it for most of the 90’s.
(I wonder how our friends in other countries will answer this one?
5. NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY : “My dog bit me on the leg today, My cat clawed my eye, Mom's been thrown out of the social circles, And dad has to hide…”
Have you ever done something that embarrassed your family?
I can’t recall anybody in my family doing anything that was a ‘family embarrassment’ – that sounds like the kind of hoity-toity upper-class thing where the family name gets besmirched by some scandal.
I think middle-class families like mine aren’t really worried about our ‘social image’ or whatever you want to call it. We’re too busy just making a living.
6. SICK THINGS : “Sick things, in cars, rotate round. My stars. Sick things. Pretty things…”
Have you ever been motion sick? Was it in a car, on a plane, or on a boat?
I used to get motion sickness on car trips when I was a kid, usually while reading. I haven’t felt that in a long time, but that’s probably because I rarely read in the car. (Especially when driving! LOL!)
7. I LOVE THE DEAD : “I love the dead before they’re cold, their blueing flesh for me to hold. Cadaver eyes upon me see nothing. I love the dead before they rise, No farewells, no goodbyes…”
What celebrity death really bothered you?
John Candy. It was the first time I remember really being saddened that a celebrity had died, because I liked his work. He always seemed like such a nice man, too.
8. SCIENCE FICTION : “Forever I’ll enjoy your under-achievement, I gonna see you every day now if I can, Why then don't the night show really matters, I still wake on the fields of regret”
What is your favorite science fiction movie?
Now THAT’S a tough call! Sci-Fi films are a particular favorite of mine, so I’m going to cop-out and pick:
The Matrix movies
(including The Animatrix)
- AND -
The Blade Trilogy
MARILYN MANSON :
9. WHITE KNUCKLES: Fistfuls of you… You pulled me through with white knuckles… Fistfuls of you”
Has someone ever grabbed you to save you from a dangerous situation?
Not literally, but I have been emotionally rescued on occasion.
10. THIS IS HALLOWEEN : “I am the clown with the tear-away face. Here in a flash and gone without a trace. I am the 'who' when you call, "Who's there?" I am the wind blowing through your hair. I am the shadow on the moon at night. Filling your dreams to the brim with fright”
What is the oddest thing you ever did on Halloween?
I don’t know how ‘odd’ it is, but I worked in a haunted house one Halloween.
By the way, that song is originally from “The Nightmare Before Christmas” soundtrack by Danny Elfman. Marilyn’s version was included on a 2-CD soundtrack reissue, which I highly recommend. The 2nd CD contains all cover versions (like Marilyn’s) and is worth hearing.
11. THE WOW : “I’m worse than what you think you’d catch from me. Complicated’s understated. Did you stop and take a look at who you fell in love with?”
Have you ever been through a divorce?
Not yet! (LOL!) My parents are still married and every couple in my immediate family is still together. But I know people (friends and family) that have gone through it. It’s different for each person; for some it was totally devastating, for others it was the best thing that could ever have happened to them.
12. THE FOOD PYRAMID : “Everybody! My body is a pyramid that's made of healthy food so do what we say (yeah) eat right every day (food) I love you."
What does your food pyramid look like?
(NOT an accurate representation of my diet, it just made a cool pyramid shape)
13. THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE : “Hey you, what do you see? Something beautiful, something free? Hey you, why you trying to be mean? You live with apes man, it's hard to be clean”
What makes a person beautiful?
Personality, intelligence, compassion, sense of humor.