January 6, 2011
Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays. We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their songs. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked KISS.
1. DETROIT ROCK CITY: “You gotta lose your mind in Detroit Rock City, Get up, Everybody's gonna move their feet, Get down, Everybody's gonna leave their seat”
Have you ever been in a line dance or group dance? What was it?
I’ve never done line dancing, but I’ve been in a few group dances.
The most recent was at the wedding of a friend. It was a Chaldean wedding. They have a tradition where people form a circle by linking their pinky fingers, then the newlyweds are hoisted up on chairs in the middle. The people swing their arms to the music as they circle the couple.
They also had the LOUDEST music I’ve ever experienced in my LIFE! (I've been to rock concerts that were quiet by comparison) I mean, it was physically painful! And the dance circle passed RIGHT BY the speakers, over and over! Sheer TORTURE!
2. BLACK DIAMOND: “Out on the streets for a living, Picture's only begun, Your day is sorrow and madness, Got you under their thumb”
What would be the worst change in your life right now?
Losing my job would be a pretty bad change - unless I won the lottery first!
But losing the life of a loved one would be a far worse change.
3. DEUCE: “Baby, if you're feeling good, Yes, baby, if you're feeling nice, You know your man is workin' hard, He's worth a deuce”
When was the last time you got a tip?
I was gonna say ‘The last time I performed a lap dance’ - but that’s just silly!
(NOBODY would tip me for THAT!)
It’s been so long since I had a job involving tips of any kind that I can’t honestly remember. (I currently get a Christmas bonus each year; does that count?)
4. STRUTTER: “She wears her satin like a lady, She gets her way just like a child. You take her home and she says, "Maybe, come on, baby", She puts you down and drives you wild”
Do you know someone who easily manipulates others?
My mother-in-law, although it’s not intentional - it’s just her nature. She’s naturally aggravating.
5. I WAS MADE FOR LOVIN YOU: “Tonight I wanna see it in your eyes, Feel the magic, there's something that drives me wild. And tonight we're gonna make it all come true, 'Cause girl, you were made for me, And girl, I was made for you”
What was the last thing you saw in someone’s eyes?
My reflection. (Well, it's true!)
6. LICK IT UP: “Dont need to wait for an invitation, You gotta live like youre on vacation. Theres something sweet you cant buy with money - lick it up, lick it up, Its all you need, so believe me honey, It aint a crime to be good to yourself”
When was the last time you treated yourself to something special?
I bought a few Blu-Ray movies with the Wal-Mart gift card I got for Christmas.
(Sheesh, how ‘Middle-American’ does that sound?)
7. LOVE GUN: “I'll be a gambler, Baby, Lay down the bet. We’ll get together, Mama… No sweat”
When was the last time you gambled?
I’m not much of a gambler, except for playing the lottery.
(Which indicates why I’m not much of a gambler: I still need to win money!)
8. HARD LUCK WOMAN: “I keep telling you hard luck woman, You ain't a hard luck woman, You'll be a hard luck woman, Baby, till you find your man”
Do you have hard luck, good luck or no luck lately?
I usually have good luck in most things. (Except the lottery, obviously!)
9. GOD OF THUNDER: “I was born on Olympus, To my father a son, I was raised by the demons (she laughs), Trained to reign as the one”
Who is your favorite super hero?
I always got a kick out of Plastic Man. He could stretch himself into all kinds of cool shapes and was always cracking one-liners. He’s an old DC Comics superhero. (Kids today probably haven’t a clue who he is because he’s not a Marvel Comics character and they haven’t made a movie about him)
10. BETH: “Just a few more hours, And I'll be right home to you, I think I hear them callin', Oh, Beth what can I do? Beth what can I do?”
What was the last reason you were late or detained?
This morning, driving to work in the snow, because of the slow-poke traffic!
11. CALLIN DOCTOR LOVE: “And even though I'm full of sin, In the end you'll let me in, You'll let me through, there's nothin' you can do, You need my lovin', don't you know it's true”
What can you do that helps other people?
This question is oddly worded.
What CAN I do? Well, I CAN do lots of things...
Cook food, clean up stuff, do a variety of handyman chores, help little old ladies across the street, drive someone to the grocery store...
The list is virtually endless!
However, if you’re asking what I actually DO? Well, that’s a much shorter list!
I guess I help people who ask for help, but it’s not like I go out of my way to search for ways to help others. (I know, I know: I’m a selfish bastard!)
12. I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE STATE OF ROCK N ROLL: “I gave my blood and I gave my soul, I stood my ground and I took control, The legend's growin' as the story's told, I pledge allegiance to the state of Rock 'n Roll”
What would you pledge allegiance to if given a choice?
I’d pledge allegiance to MYSELF - since I'm the only person who knows exactly what I believe in, and would do exactly what I want done around here.
13. CRAZY CRAZY NIGHTS: “And they try to tell us that we don't belong, But that's alright, we're millions strong, You are my people, you are my crowd, This is our music, we love it loud”
Are you a member of a group, (church, hobby group, civic group, network)?
I’m a member of:
(There are a few other clubs, but they’re all boring restaurant/hotel stuff)
You too can join in the fun! Rock ‘n Roll Fridays