November 18, 2010
We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked Stevie Wonder. The song's lyrics are in bold.
1. I JUST CALLED TO SAY I LOVE YOU “I just called to say I love you. I just called to say how much I care. I just called to say I love you, and I mean it from the bottom of my heart”
What did your last conversation revolve around on the phone?
My last phone conversation with mom to wish her happy birthday and to let her know we’ll be visiting Thanksgiving.
(No, we’re not making mom cook Thanksgiving dinner; we’re going out to eat!)
2. SUPERSTITION “When you believe in things That you don't understand, Then you suffer, Superstition aint the way”
Do you have a crazy habit or superstition you must perform in certain situations, such as throwing salt over your shoulder when you spill it?
Crazy? No, all of my habits and superstitions are perfectly normal and rational. Like rinsing-out my cup before I fill it with water, just to make sure there won’t be any ‘floaties’ in it. (Which has happened, so it’s not crazy!)
3. SIR DUKE “Music knows it is and always will Be one of the things that life just won't quit But here are some of music's pioneers That time will not allow us to forget”
If you had to pick a music milestone event or invention, what would it be?
Pick it for what, as the penultimate musical event?
For me, that would be the invention of the electric guitar!
4. YOU ARE THE SUNSHINE OF MY LIFE “You are the sunshine of my life, yeah, That's why I'll always stay around, You are the apple of my eye, Forever you'll stay in my heart”
What besides your significant other brings sunshine to your life?
Music, of course! (And beer!)
5. LIVING FOR THE CITY “Her brother's smart he's got more sense than many, His patience's long but soon he won't have any, To find a job is like a haystack needle, Cause where he lives they don't use colored people”
Have you ever been denied a job or treated differently at a job for an unusual reason?
I can’t think of any unusual reasons... I did run into the old ‘no experience’ reason a few times, which I always thought was stupid because everybody starts off that way. (I’d like to know who hired all these experienced people for their first jobs, when they were not experienced)
6. THAT GIRL “That girl thinks that she's so smart, That soon she'll have my heart. She thinks in no time flat, That she'll be free and clear to start”
Ever been pursued by someone who wanted you but you didn’t want them?
No, but that’s only because I have such low standards. (LOL!)
7. I WISH “I wish those days could come back once more, Why did those days ev-er have to go I wish those days could come back once more, Why did those days ev-er have to go Cause I love them so”
What era of your life do you miss the most?
Probably the first few years out of high school. More freedom, more free time and more expendible income back then. And fewer worries. And I was younger, of course!
8. HIGHER GROUND “Powers keep on lyin', While your people keep on dyin', World keep on turnin' Cause it won't be too long”
Do you believe global warming will continue to worsen?
It will as long as people keep profiting from importing and selling cheap goods made in industrial nations whose pollution regulations are basically zip. That and our over-dependence on fossil fuels.
9. PART TIME LOVER” We are undercover passion on the run. Chasing love up against the sun, We are strangers by day, lovers by night. Knowing it's so wrong, but feeling so right.”
Have you ever dated someone you shouldn’t have because they were married or “taken”?
No, and I’d be pretty surprised if anyone who did admitted it.
10. SIGNED SEALED DELIVERED ” Then that time I went and said goodbye, Now I'm back and not ashamed to cry. Oo, baby, here I am, signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours!”
Ever try it again with an old flame? What happened?
No. Nothing (obviously!)
11. MY CHERIE AMOUR “Maybe someday, you'll see my face among the crowd. Maybe someday, I'll share your little distant cloud. Oh, cherie amour, pretty little one that I adore, You're the only girl my heart beats for, How I wish that you were mine”
Who was your very first crush? Did they return the emotion?
In kindergarten there was this girl named Jill with brown hair (always in pig-tails) and pretty blue eyes. When we played "The Farmer in The Dell" and I was the farmer, I always picked her to be my wife. She didn't seem to mind, but that's about as involved as it ever got.
12. GOLDEN LADY “Golden lady, golden lady I'd like to go there. Take me right away.”
Ever get a tanning salon/ fake tan? Do you still worship the sun?
I tried a tanning bed one time. Of course, not much happens just one time, but I thought it was silly and never tried it again. I don't worship the sun - mostly it's just hot to me - and the only tan I usually get is a farmer's tan.
13. ALL IN LOVE IS FAIR “I tossed my coin to say In love with me you'd stay. But all in war is so cold You either win or lose. When all is put away, The losing side I'll play. But all is fair in love…”
What is the worst aspect of breaking up/divorce?
From what I've seen, the worst things happen when there are kids involved, because they get caught in the middle. One parent wants to see the kids more often, parents use them as leverage, they take out their spite for their ex-partners either directly on the kids or through them. It's a rare divorce that ends up being the best thing for all involved.
You can join in the fun too, at Rock ‘n Roll Fridays
Next week's artist: Led Zeppelin!