November 26, 2010
Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays!
We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their songs. Each of our questions will be based on the songs. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked Led Zeppelin.
1. BLACK DOG “Take too long before I found out, what people mean by down and out. Spent my money, took my car…”
When was the last time you were down and out?
Last June, when I forgot my wife’s birthday.
2. DAZED AND CONFUSED “Oh I don’t like when you’re mystifyin’ me. Oh don’t leave me so confused, now whoa baby. Been dazed and confused for so long…”
What leaves you dazed and confused?
Black Friday. I just don’t get all the fuss.
3. FOOL IN THE RAIN “Another 10 minutes no longer, and then I’m turnin around. The clock on the wall’s moving slower, oh my heart it sinks to the ground…”
Have you ever been “stood up”?
In 8th grade a girl told me about a school dance on a Saturday and said I should go because she was going. I rode my bike up to school and went into the dance. She never showed. (Luckily I didn't have to pay to get in) I rode back home.
4. IMMIGRANT SONG “On we sweep with, with threshing oar. Our only goal will be the western shore. So now you better stop and rebuild all your ruins…”
How do you feel about immigration into the USA?
“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, yearning to be free.” That sounds like an open invitation to me. I’m all for legal immigration.
5. KASHMIR “I am a traveler of both time and space, to be where I have been. To sit with elders of the gentle race, this world has seldom seen…”
Have you ever visited someone in a nursing (old age) home?
Yes, my wife’s grandparents. What a sad place. Not that they were mistreated, it's just seeing them in such decline, forgetting where (and when) they are and such. (And thinking I may end up the same someday)
6. MISTY MOUNTAIN HOP “Crowds of people sittin on the grass with flowers in their hair said Hey boy, do you wanna score?”…
Have you ever done something because of “peer” pressure?
Yes, hasn’t everybody?
What, you wanted details?
TOO BAD! (LOL!)
7. RAMBLE ON “A ramble on, and now’s the time the time is now. Sing my song, I’m goin round the world to find my girl”
Where is the oddest place you went to on a date?
I can’t say I’ve ever been anywhere ‘odd’ on a date. We’d go to the movies, eat at restauranta, etc – the usual stuff.
(Too bad, too... this question has such great potential!)
8. ROCK N ROLL “Ho, it’s been a long time since we walked in the moonlight, a-makin vows that just can’t work right, haw haw, yeah yeah open your arms, open your arms, open your arms, let my love come runnin in…”
What’s the last romantic thing you did (besides sexual)?
I carved a heart and my wife’s initials into my Halloween Jack O’ Lantern
9. STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN “There’s a lady who’s sure, all that glitters is gold, and she’s buying a stairway to heaven…”
What did you last buy? Was it on Black Friday?
The last thing I bought was a Christmas gift for my wife on Thanksgiving.
(I avoid Black Friday like the Black Plague!)
10. THANK YOU “If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving you. If the mountains should crumble to the sea, there would still be you and me…”
What is the longest relationship you have ever had?
I’ve been married to my wife for over 16 years. We were engaged for a year prior to that, and dated for six months before getting engaged. That’s almost 18 years total. (Although I do have a watch that I've had for about 30 years!)
11. THE LEMON SONG “I work as hard as I can-a. I bring home my money, you take my money, give it to another man. I should have quit you baby-a such a long time ago…”
Have you ever loaned money to someone?
I rarely lend money to people (gotta have it to lend it!) and never large amounts. But I have loaned a few bucks to friends or co-workers on occasion, to buy lunch or something.
12. THE SONG REMAINS THE SAME “You don’t know what you’re missin now. Any little song that you know. Everything that’s small has to grow. And it has to grow!”
Do you have plants in your house?
We have a 7-stem bamboo plant that I gave to my wife a couple of years ago. The main 4 shoots are still going strong, but some of the smaller stems died along the way.
13. WHOLE LOTTA LOVE “You’ve been learnin and baby I been learnin, all them good times, baby baby I’ve been discernin…”
What is the last class or course you studied?
I took quite a few classes the last year I was in college, but I have no idea which one was the very last. Maybe a Philosophy or Psychology class. Maybe Creative Writing. Maybe Political Science. I don't remember for certain.
Be sure to visit Rock ‘n Roll Fridays and give it a try!