Followers

September 3, 2010

Rock & Roll Friday: Smells Like Teen Spirit

Rock & Roll Friday: Smells Like Teen Spirit





Hi and welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays!


We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday.  But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick an singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics.  Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics.  Got it?  Great!  Let's begin this week's meme!



Today we picked Nirvana.  The song titles are in caps.  Both the titles and the lyrics are in bold.  Here's Rock ‘n Roll Fridays!




1. ALL APOLOGIES

I wish I was like you
Easily Amused
Find my nest of Salt
Everything is my fault.

Is there a very popular form of entertainment most other people enjoy that does not amuse you?

(C)rap music.  I can’t stand it.  It’s not even music by my definition, just a less-appealing form of ‘beat’ poetry.  (Sorry, rap fans!)


2. COME AS YOU ARE

Come doused in mud, soaked in bleach, as I want you to be.
As a trend, as a friend, as an old memory. Aahhh.


What is the worst beauty or health product or regime you have ever tried?


Clearsil pads.  They didn’t work at all!  Plus the vapors made me cough and made my eyes water - and the acne that didn’t go away made them water even more!  (Waah!)


3. DUMB

We’ll float around
And hang out on clouds
Then we’ll come down
And have a hangover.


What is your mind-bender of choice?


While I prefer bourbon or rum, beer is my go-to drink of choice.  I don’t always have bourbon or rum handy, but there’s always beer in the fridge!
(Good beer, too! None of that ‘light’ crap!)




4. DON’T WANT IT ALL


He had removed us
All the styles of heresy
Finally he appeared unexpectedly
Looking for the company.


Who in your family would you like to see more of?


My younger siblings.  My brother and sister live together about 15 minutes away from my house.  Yet I see them less frequently than I see my folks, who live almost 2 hours away.




5. HALF THE MAN I USED TO BE


I’m half the man I used to be
This feeling as the dawn
It fades to gray.


What part of your physical body has changed the most in the past 10 years?


Probably my back, which started giving out on occasion a few years back.
(How long have you had a weak back?  Oh, about a week back!)




6. HEART SHAPED BOX


She has me like a Pisces when I am weak
I’ve been locked inside your heart shaped box for weeks.

Do you resemble the attributes of your birthsign?


Do you mean my 'regular' horoscope sign, Scorpio?  Or my Chinese horoscope sign, The Dragon?  I’ve read the ‘attributes’ of both and they’re usually non-specific enough to be agreeable.

(I don’t believe in astrology, but it’s still pretty cool to be a Scorpion Dragon!)




7. LITHIUM


Sunday morning is every day for all I care.
And I’m not scared.
Light my candles in a daze cause I found god.


If you are a spiritual person, what is your favorite ritual or part of church service?


I don’t think one needs to regularly attend religious services in order to be a spiritual person.  I believe in the distinct possibility of a higher power, if not in its probability.  I've found the greatest source of spirituality for me is Nature.




8. RAPE ME


Hate me. Do it and do it again.
Waste me, rape me my friend.


What rebellious act have you committed?


I’m not a very rebellious person.  I think most rules exist for a reason, even if I happen to disagree with them.  (But I've bent one or two on occasion)




9. LOVE GUN


I really love you baby. I love what you’ve got.
Let’s get together we can get hot.
No more tomorrow baby, time is today.
Girl I can make you feel okay.


What is your favorite first date activity?


Something casual like a movie, miniature golf or a concert.  Eating is usually somewhere in the mix, but is not often the 'main' event.


By the way, “Love Gun” is a KISS song.  (I didn't know Nirvana covered it)




10. SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT


With the lights out, it’s less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us.
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us.


Would you rather go to a movie, a concert, or the theater?


Wait, didn’t I just answer that? (Oh, you said ‘rather’)  Well, I can’t express a preference for any one in particular, since I enjoy them all.  How about whichever is the least crowded?




11. STAIN


Well he never bleeds and he never fucks
And he never leaves cuz he’s got bad luck
Well he never reads and he never draws
And he never sleeps cuz he’s got bad luck.


What are you afraid to try for fear of failure?


Sykydiving.  It pretty much has a 1-mistake limit.




12. OH ME


I can’t see the end of me
My whole expanse I cannot see
I formulate infinity
And store it deep inside of me.


What will you be doing when you are 75 years old?


I guess it depends on how (and IF) I’m holding up.  I’d like to be a retired man of leisure, taking my grandkids fishing and stuff like that.

I imagine myself sitting on my front porch in a rocking chair... sipping bourbon and whittling... wife nagging me to quit getting wood shavings all over the porch.  Sounds great!




13. ABOUT A GIRL


I’m standing in your line.
I do hope you have the time
I do pick up number 2
I do keep a date with you.


Have you considered (or when you were single), having a one-night stand?


Considered?  When I was single I certainly considered it - more like wished for it, I suppose - but never did it.

Be sure to join in the fun at next week's Rock ‘n Roll Fridays!

4 comments:

  1. Cool meme! Now, I'm going to have to go hunt up Nirvana's version of Love Gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly wouldn't mess with a "Scorpion Dragon". That's so bad-ass! My idea of rebellion is giving people the finger when they can't see me (or it). No one gets hurt and I feel better.

    Have a Rockin' weekend!

    Debster

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Erik, I was tagged for a short meme and I'm passing the tag along. Stop by the blog for the questions if you're up for it.

    ReplyDelete

You may put in your 2¢ worth, but I'll only pay you a penny for your thoughts.