Followers

August 24, 2012

The Music, Not The Notes; The Poem, Not The Words

My poetry is like my guitar playing: I can strum a few chords, just enough to make a recognizable tune, but nothing too complicated. Nobody would pay to hear me play.  I play just well enough to truly appreciate people who can really play.  And though I lack talent, I still have a passion for guitar music.  I love it, despite how inept I may be at making it.

Likewise, I’ve never been able to write a proper poem to describe what your love means to me; I’ve never composed a rhyme that aptly sings the praises of you.  But I’ve finally figured out why: It’s not any shortcoming of talent on my part, nor a lack of desire to do so; it is because you are the poem.  I cannot distill you into mere words, regardless of my skill, for they could never do you justice.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful! Wonderful! Wonderful! Would be awesome to have someone write a non-poem like this for me ;) I've visited enough times to say I personally think you just may be selling yourself short...and I'd LOVE to hear you play :) Happy OpenLinkNight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely. Some people are truly indescibable, poetry of themselves. I do understand that and smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet, so sincere--artful in its artlessness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes the strongest emotions are so overwhelming that words are insufficient to capture them. What you have written above is what anyone who's ever loved or been loved feels but can't express. I like that it is unstructured, just pouring out like your thoughts. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Eric--and sometimes, real life and honesty beat poetry hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes the words just can not capture how wonderful they are to us....this made me smile man...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful. I love the honesty and love that comes through this. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your voice is so strong in this poem, and the love--sigh. Quite a treat--really enjoyed this *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the conversational tone with which you begin the piece, leading to a truly poetic ending. A heartwarming read.

    ReplyDelete

You may put in your 2¢ worth, but I'll only pay you a penny for your thoughts.