Followers

July 19, 2011

Summer Rainstorm


Hot July afternoon
Gathering clouds
gradually darken
the sky to black

Wind
starts gusting
Rain
begins to fall

Rumbling thunder
tumbles overhead
Sheets of rain blur
shaking trees

Pavement alive with
splattering drops
scattering endlessly
into each other

Slowly
like ebbing anger
the wind
starts to fade

The rain slows
from downpour
to just
a sputter

The thunder
rolls off
mopingly
into the distance

Occasional bellows
mumbling back
Dying echoes of the
fury that passed

9 comments:

  1. ahh...summer rain can be so refreshing...and sometimes letting the storm blow through makes all the difference int he world...

    ReplyDelete
  2. and so it pours and leaves us refreashed and ready to start again.

    happy tuesday~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! And I'm envious. This afternoon I'm putting up film of the latest haboob. My summer weather would go like this.
    Blasted dust
    blasting gritty sand
    my nostrils sting
    my skin is raw

    it's raining dust
    again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add a huge wall of dust to that and you have my yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful imagery. The progression expertly told. Reminds me of the great Northwest where I live. I enjoyed this read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice Eric! Well done. I love a good storm. Been too long from the elements, and too often in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fantastic imagery!
    Wish that storm would come my way to cool down this stifling heat and humidity.

    Nicely done, Eric!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the cleansing/refreshing feel to this piece, especially these lines...

    Occasional bellows
    mumbling back
    Dying echoes of the
    fury that passed.

    Had to smile after that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the imagery and great economy of language in this poem.

    ReplyDelete

You may put in your 2¢ worth, but I'll only pay you a penny for your thoughts.