Welcome to Rock ‘n Roll Fridays!
We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their songs. Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked The Beatles!
(This is a special "double" meme in honor of being the last meme of the year. Happy New Year!)
1. HARD DAYS NIGHT : “You know I work all day, to get you money, to buy you things, and it’s worth it just to hear you say, you’re gonna give me everything…”
Have you ever supported another person?
Well, of course! Physically, spiritually, fiscally, emotionally - any way I can help.
2. ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE: “Nothing you can make that can’t be made. No one you can save that can’t be saved. Nothing you can do but you can learn how to be you in time, it’s easy. All you need is love…”
What 3 things do you need besides love?
Food, drink and shelter. (See how literal I am?)
3. BACK IN THE USSR: “Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it’s great to be back home…”
What is the most unusual place you have visited?
Well, there was this weird souvenir shop in Jamaica that had all kinds of trinkets (t-shirts, key-chains, etc.) featuring penises and explicit sexual themes.
Quite an odd place for a tour bus to stop, especially for the people dragging along their kids... “Mommy, what’s THAT?”
4. DO YOU WANT TO KNOW A SECRET?: “Listen, doo da doo, do you want to hear a secret? Do you promise not to tell?...”
What was the last secret you heard?
I can’t tell you - it’s a secret!
5. DRIVE MY CAR: “Baby you can drive my car. Yes I’m gonna be a star. Baby you can drive my car and maybe I’ll love you…”
When was the last time you drove someone else’s car?
I drove my wife’s minivan just the other day; it’s missing the driver’s side arm-rest, which really bugs me. (Not to mention the whole 'man-driving-a-minivan' thing)
6. EIGHT DAYS A WEEK: “I ain’t got nothing but love, babe. Eight days a week”…
What was the longest week of YOUR life?
Ever? I dunno... but this week (the one between Christmas and New Year’s) has sure been d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g!
7. GET BACK: “Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner, but he knew it couldn’t last. Jojo left his home in Tucson Arizona, for some California grass. Get back!Get Back! Get back to where you once belonged…”
Where do YOU belong?
Anywhere I feel good. (Preferably somewhere with beer!)
8. GOOD MORNING GOOD MORNING: “Everyone you see is half asleep, and you’re on your own you’re in the street…”
What is your morning routine?
(Oh yawn) Get up, eat breakfast, shave, shower, get dressed for work.
9. HELLO GOODBYE: “I don’t know why you say goodbye I say hello, hello, hello…”
Who was the last person you said Goodbye to that you look forward to saying Hello to again?
My wife, when she left on a trip up north two days ago.... Hurry back, honey! There's laundry piling up! (LOL! Just kidding - I can do laundry)
10. YESTERDAY: “Yesterday, all my troubles seemed so far away, now it looks as though they’re here to stay, oh I believe in yesterday…”
What was the best event of yesterday (the day before today)?
Taking my son out to Taco Bell for dinner. He just starting to like different foods in the past year or two, so anything other than chicken nuggets and fries is an adventure!
(Did we really need the definition of 'yesterday'?)
11. WITHIN YOU WITHOUT YOU: “We were talking about the space between us all and the people who hide themselves behind a wall of illusion…”
Spiritually, do you believe in afterlife, reincarnation or nothing at all?
I hope we all get to re-join some sort of cosmic consciousness where there’s no more pain or fear or longing, just peace.
(I don’t know that I believe it to be true, but I sure hope so!)
12. WHEN I’M 64: When I get older losing my hair, many years from now…will you still be sending me a valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?...”
What was your favorite age to be?
I’d say somewhere around 25 or so... old enough to do anything I want, and young enough to still be able to do it!
13. WE CAN WORK IT OUT: “Try to see it my way, do I have to keep on talking till I can’t go on? While you see it your way, run the risk of knowing that our love will soon be gone, we can work it out…”
What is the most drastic thing you ever did to try to save a relationship/friendship?
Drastic? Well, I’m not one for drama (or melodrama), and I’ve never really had to ‘save’ any relationships or friendships. But I try to do little things that help to keep them going.
14. THE NIGHT BEFORE: “We said our goodbyes the night before, Love was in your eyes the night before, Now today I find, you have changed your mind…treat me like you did the night before…”
Anything change drastically just overnight for you?
I went to work one day only to find that I (and my coworkers) no longer had a job there.
15. FOOL ON THE HILL: “But nobody wants to know him, they can see that he’s just a fool. And he never gives an answer but the fool on the hill sees the sun going down and the eyes in his head see the world going round…”
Were you ever teased or bullied in the past?
Plenty of both when I was young, but once I was a teenager it had stopped - except for the good-natured teasing that occurs between friends.
16. SHE’S A WOMAN: “My love don’t give me presents, I know that she’s no peasant. Only ever have to give me, love forever and forever, my love don’t give me presents…”
What was the last gift your significant lover gave to you?
A new zoom lens for my camera for Christmas! (New pics coming soon!)
17. SEXY SADIE: “She came along to turn on everyone, sexy Sadie the greatest of them all, Sexy Sadie how did you know, the world was waiting just for you…”
What is sexy about your significant other?
The sexiest thing about her is the fact that she finds me sexy and desires me. (Anything else is a bonus!)
18. REVOLUTION: “You say you want a revolution, well you know, we’d all want to change the world…”
What would you change about the USA right now if you could (besides war)?
How about abolishing political parties for a start? (Sheesh, don’t get me started!)
19. PENNY LANE: “Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes, there beneath the blue suburban skies…
Tell us about your favorite street. It doesn’t have to be the one you live on now.
The street I grew up on was great! I had lots of friends up and down the blocks and every winter a water main would break and flood the street so it turned into a sheet of ice. (Which is only great when you’re a kid with a sled; not so great when you’re a homeowner)
20. PAPERBACK WRITER: “It’s a thousand pages give or take a few, I’ll be writing more in a week or two. I can make it longer if you like the style, I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer….”
What would your book be about if someone advanced you money to write one?
It would be a fantastical, futuristic tale with magical creatures, bizarre planets and an average guy who finds himself in the midst of some power struggle between warring factions and has to save the day... AND he gets the girl in the end, of course!
21. NOWHERE MAN: “He’s a real nowhere man, sitting in his nowhere land, making all his nowhere plans for nobody..”
Who do you feel is clue-less?
The average American, if all the stuff I hear on the news, read online and see on television is any indication.
(Honestly, have you seen the STUPID shows they have on TV?)
22. NORWEGIAN WOOD: “She showed me her room, isn’t it good Norwegian wood?”
What piece of artwork or furniture are you most proud of?
Well, to take pride in it would mean I had a hand in its creation. I haven’t made any furniture lately, but I suppose some of my photographs or poems could be considered artwork...
My favorite photo is Rose City Horses
My favorite poem is either Quatrains
or Terrible Train
23. MICHELLE: “I love you I love you I love you, that’s all I want to say, until I find a way, I will say the only words I know that you’ll understand…
Have you ever dated a non-US born person? (If you are from another country, have you dated anyone outside your borders?)
No - not that I was opposed to the idea, it just never came up. (My dating days were back before everybody was online, so I usually only met local girls)
24. MAXWELL’S SILVER HAMMER: “Bang Bang Maxwells’ silver hammer came down on her head, bang bang Maxwell’s silver hammer made sure that she was dead…”
How would you like to die if given a choice?
In the throes of ecstasy!
25. MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR: “Roll up for the mystery tour. The magical mystery tour is waiting to take you away, waiting to take you away take you today…”
What was the last tour you went on?
I visited The Henry Ford Museum. It wasn’t literally a tour, but I made the rounds.
26. LADY MADONNA: “Lady Madonna baby at your breast, wonders how you manage to beat the rest…”
How do you feel about public breast feeding?
I think it’s a mother’s right to do so, although a certain amount of discretion is advisable. (I rarely object to a woman showing her boobs)
Artist next week: KISS!