Welcome to Rock 'n Roll Fridays.
We are like other memes in that we will ask you thirteen questions each and every Friday. But our little "twist" is that each week we will pick a singer, band, era or category and pick thirteen of their lyrics.
Each of our questions will be based on the lyrics. Got it? Great! Let's begin this week's meme!
Today we picked Billy Joel. The song's lyrics are in bold.
1. PIANO MAN… “Sing us a song, you're the piano man, Sing us a song tonight. Well, we're all in the mood for a melody, And you've got us feelin' alright”
What is your favorite Karaoke song to sing with?
I’ve never done karaoke; I’m strictly a shower singer.
2. CAPTAIN JACK…”Saturday night and you're still hangin' around, Tired of livin' in your one-horse town. Like to find a little hole in the ground, For a while”
If you grew up in a one-horse town, are you still there, or did you try living somewhere else?
Hey! This question precludes anyone who grew up in a town with MORE than one horse! (And, being from the metro-Detroit area, there was always plenty of horsepower around!)
3. NEW YORK STATE OF MIND…”It comes down to reality-and it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide, Don't care if it's Chinatown or Riverside, I don't have any reasons, I've left them all behind- I'm in a New York state of mind.”
What is your favorite New York food?
You just can’t beat a nice, big deli-style corned beef and swiss sandwich!
4. SHE’S ALWAYS A WOMAN TO ME…”But she'll bring out the best And the worst you can be, Blame it all on yourself, Cause she's always a woman to me”
Has someone else ever brought out the best or worse in you?
My wife has brought out the best in me in many ways. I’d hate to think where I’d be in life now without her.
5. MOVIN OUT…”Workin' too hard can give you a heart attack ack ack ack ack ack, You oughta know by now. Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that what you get for your money?”
What is the most annoying line from a song lyric of all time?
Lately I’ve been annoyed by the part of Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance” that goes:
“Rah rah ah-ah-ah!
Ro mah ro-mah-mah
Want your bad romance”
6. ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG…”They say there's a heaven for those who will wait. Some say it's better but I say it ain't. I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints …Sinners are much more fun...”
What would heaven be like for you? A shopping mall? A forest? Mansion? Do tell…
My Heaven has a huge, super-soft bed and NO alarm clock! I suppose there’d be an intelligent, funny, sexy woman - or two. (or three, or…) The coffee’s always fresh and the delicious donuts have no calories. There’s always something good on TV – no newscasts full of bad news, and no commercials or political ads. I’m surrounded by natural beauty – forests, fields, rivers, lakes, deserts, oceans, etc – plus all the wildlife to watch. I’m never too cold or too hot. I have a series of beer fountains, each one different. There are all kinds of games to play, inside or out. There’s a trampoline field where you can bounce high and far… and if you don’t feel like bouncing, you can just fly. There are roller coasters everywhere, and any other amusement ride you can imagine. The Good Humor man comes by every day and everything is free. Any time I want to hear music it just comes on, crystal clear from all directions, whatever I feel like hearing. Basically, I’d have anything and everything I could ever want, whenever I wanted it.
7. JUST THE WAY YOU ARE…”Don't go trying some new fashion, Don't change the color of your hair. You always have my unspoken passion, Although I might not seem to care…”
Have you ever changed something about yourself to please somebody else?
The closest I came to changing something about myself was shaving off a recently-grown beard at my wife’s request.
8. STILL ROCK N ROLL TO ME…”Should I try to be a straight `A' student? If you are then you think too much. Don't you know about the new fashion honey? All you need are looks and a whole lotta money. It's the next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways , it's still rock and roll to me…”
What besides “looks and a whole lotta money” would you require in a mate?
Actually, those are pretty low on my list. I have more appreciation for intelligence, humor, compassion and a zest for life. Oh, and pretty eyes!
9. YOU MAY BE RIGHT…”You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for…”
Do you like bad boys (girls) or good boys (girls)?
I guess I like bad girls alright (if they’re not TOO bad), but I’d never marry one. My wife’s a good girl, although she can be ‘bad’ enough when she wants to be. ;)
10. WE DIDN’T START THE FIRE… “Wheel of Fortune, Sally Ride, heavy metal, suicide, Foreign debts, homeless vets, AIDS, crack, Bernie Goetz, Hypodermics on the shores, China's under martial law, Rock and roller cola wars, I can't take it anymore”
List 13 things for a Billy Joel verse in this aggravating song…
Chimichangas, Taco Bell
this way Heaven, that way Hell
Wall Street trading
up the creek and down the drain
Burgers cooking on the grill
BP made a nasty spill
(Billy, gimme me a call... I've got lots more where that came from!)
11. TELL HER ABOUT IT…”Tell her about it. Tell her all your crazy dreams. Let her know you need her, Let her know how much she means…”
Have you told your significant other or dearest family member recently how much they mean to you?
Yes, I tell her almost every day.
12. UPTOWN GIRL… “I’m in love with an uptown girl, She's been living in her white bread world. As long as anyone with hot blood can, And now she's looking for a downtown man. That's what I am…”
Have you dated someone above or below your “level”? (richer or poorer). Did you feel comfortable with them?
I think most of my dates were fairly close to my ‘level’ as far as I can recall.
(So why did I still end up paying for everything?)
13. THE LONGEST TIME… “Who knows how much further we'll go on. Maybe I'll be sorry when you're gone. I'll take my chances, I forgot how nice romance is, I haven't been there for the longest time”
What is the longest you have gone without a love relationship?
I have no idea. I only had a couple of girlfriends before I met my wife, so I suppose I was ‘love-less’ most of the time.
(Depends on when you start counting; high school? There's four years!)
Artist next week: The Cure!
Coming soon: Stevie Wonder